Additional Information

This page provides additional information applicable to new applicants. Policies that apply for current Foundation Doctors can be found on the Policies and Procedures tab.

Special Circumstances

Applicants can apply for approval to be pre-allocated to a Foundation School due to special circumstances, through a formal UKFPO process (detailed on their website).

For the 2021 recruitment round the application deadline is 12 midday (GMT) on Wednesday 4th November 2020.   

Upon allocation to the Wales Foundation School, an applicant with approved special circumstances will be matched to a suitable location and rotation. 

Where an applicants circumstances change after the deadline, they should contact the Foundation School as soon as possible on

Please note that it is not possible to apply for pre-allocation to an F2 Programme in Wales,  however if a doctor is allocated to an unsuitable F2 Programme through the F2 Matching Scheme, they should contact the Foundation School to confirm if they are eligible for reallocation. The criteria for this will be in line with the UKFPO guidance for Special Circumstances. 

Linked Applications

Linked applications will be recognised for allocation to Foundation School, however they will not be considered during allocation to Programmes or Health Boards.

Swapping Places

It is not possible to "swap" places with another applicant after allocation to a Foundation School, and the Wales Foundation School does not allow doctors to swap Programmes after allocation.

If an applicant's personal circumstances have changed since submitting their initial application, they may apply for an Inter-Foundation School Transfer (IFST). Further information on this can be found in the Policies and Procedures tab.  

Deferrals to Foundation Training

Deferrals are only allowed for statutory reasons (i.e. due to sickness, maternity or paternity leave). Please contact as soon as possible to request a deferral.

Employer during Foundation Training

From August 2021, all Foundation Doctors will be employed by a "Single Lead Employer", the NHS Wales Shared Services Partnership (NWSSP)

This means that throughout Foundation Training, our Foundation Doctors will have a consistent and continuous employer, regardless of where they are physically working in Wales.

NWSSP coordinate all employment issues, covering pre-employment checks, employment contracts (including banding confirmation), HR services, payroll, annual leave and occupational health. If you have any queries on these issues, please contact for further information. 

Right to Work

All applicants are required to have proof of their right to work in the UK prior to taking up their first placement. It is the applicant's responsibility to apply for any relevant visas in sufficient time prior to their start date. Further information for applicants can be found on the UKFPO website

Applicants requiring a Tier 4 (student) visa are sponsored by the UKFPO and will be provided with a CAS reference number upon being allocated to a Foundation School. For queries relating to this, please contact the Tier 4 visa team on

Applicants requiring a Tier 2 (general work) visa are sponsored by NWSSP and further information can be found on their website

Shadowing Period

A period of 4 days paid shadowing will take place for all F1 doctors in Wales, prior to commencing the Foundation Programme. Date for this recruitment round can be found on the Programmes tab

Hospital Accommodation

In Wales, hospital accommodation is provided free of charge for a Foundation Doctor's first 12 month of training. Upon allocation to Wales, Foundation Doctors will be provided with contact details in order to request this accommodation.

Further information on the type of accommodation provided can be found on the Programmes tab (within the Individual Placement Descriptions booklets). 

Relocation & Excess Travel Policy

Details of the relocation and travel expenses that are eligible to be claimed up moving to or within Wales to take up a training post can be found on the NWSSP website, and any questions should be directed to

Back to top